One of the most prestigious international scholarships in the world, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships, provides full funding for postgraduate studies.
Outstanding candidates from outside the UK are given scholarships to attend the University of Cambridge full-time for a postgraduate degree in any field that is offered.
Other scholarships that provide full scholarships and monthly stipends are available in the United States, Germany, the United Kingdom, and Canada. Here are some recommendations that you ought to look into:
- Host Country: United Kingdom (UK)
- Eligible Countries: All Countries (Except UK)
- Reward: Full Scholarship | Maintenance allowance-£18,384 | Travel costs | Visa
- Application Opens: September 15, 2022
- Deadline: January 3, 2023
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge; this is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. The first class of scholars came into residence in October 2001.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degre one in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions – see below)
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree, such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Scholarship Duration and Reward
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge including
- Tuition fees,
- maintenance allowance (£18,384 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate),
- travel costs,
- visa, etc.
It also provides additional, discretionary funding such as academic development funding, family allowance, fieldwork, etc.
What we are looking for
Our Scholars come from diverse backgrounds and each brings something unique to the programme.
We use four criteria to select them.
- Academic excellence
- Reasons for choice of course
- A commitment to improving the lives of others
- A capacity for leadership
- A note on the ratio of PhD:Masters awards
Method of Application
Applicants submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section.
There are two Gates Cambridge application deadlines: 12 October 2022(for US citizens resident in the USA) and either 1 December 2022 or 5 January 2023 depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).