The Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government has reached an agreement with the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD)

reports that resident doctors on Monday commenced a nationwide strike over the federal government’s failure to meet their demands.

The industrial action by the NARD is the latest in a string of strikes by medics to hit Africa’s most populous nation as it struggles to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

 

NARD stated that their demands which the federal government had failed to meet include a pay rise, better welfare, and adequate facilities.

“We have kicked off the strike today,” NARD president Aliyu Sokomba told AFP, adding that medics treating virus cases would join the action this time around.

But the federal government and doctors on Wednesday reached an agreement over the ongoing strike.

 

a meeting which lasted almost the entire day, the association said it will consult its executive council within the next 24 hours, with a view to calling off the strike by Thursday.

The Federal Government stated that eight of the demands made by NARD had been addressed and the remaining two were in different stages of being resolved.

After extensive deliberations, however, both parties reached several agreements.

 

 They   agreed that the Hospitals and Isolation Centres now have sufficient Provision of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

They also agreed that the Federal Government had paid the total sum of Nine Billion Three Hundred Million Naira (N9.3billion) to Insurance Companies for Life Group Insurance and payment of death benefits for health workers.

On the implementation of the payment of the special hazard/inducement allowance, the doctors said they were satisfied that the N20 billion already appropriated in the 2020 COVID-19 Budget has been exhausted to N19 billion and therefore, praised the Federal Government and the President for approving an additional (N8,901,231,773.55) to pay up the large chunk of the June 2020 COVID-19 allowance to all Medical Health Workers.

996 thoughts on “”
  1. The industrial action by the NARD is the latest in a string of strikes by medics to hit Africa’s most populous nation as it struggles to curb the spread of the coronavirus.

  2. President Muhammadu Buhari on Thursday boasted that despite the decline in the country’s GDP, his administration has recorded some “notable achievements” within the last five years.

    The President cited the agricultural sector which he said has continued to grow despite the damaging impact of the coronavirus pandemic because of his regime’s targeted policies.

    Special Adviser to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, said the President spoke at a meeting of the National Food Security Council held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

  3. • Makinde Says Ondo Election Does Not Determine Yoruba Presidency • Ondo NUJ Task Force Clamps Down On Fake Journalists
    The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, has declared that the President Muhammadu Buhari-led Federal Government and ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has failed Nigerians in all ramifications.
    Secondus said this, yesterday, in Akure during the PDP governorship campaign flag-off, noting that the only thing Buhari owes Nigerians is to conduct credible polls before he leaves in 2023, especially in Edo and Ondo states.
    According to him, security, power, economy and other sectors have collapsed under the APC-led government.
    He expressed hope that PDP would defeat the ruling party in the forthcoming governorship elections in Edo and Ondo states.
    The PDP chieftain urged people of Ondo State to vote PDP governorship candidate, Eyitayo Jegede, as APC government under Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has turned governance into family business.
    Oyo State governor and Chairman, National PDP Campaign Council for Ondo State election, Seyi Makinde, urged the people not to be scared of Federal might.
    Makinde also advised the people to ignore the sentiments being spread by APC that the governorship election would determine Yoruba Presidency, saying PDP’s preoccupation was restructuring.
    He said: “Last week, they came and told you to vote for them because of 2023. This election is not about presidency for Yoruba, it is all about delivery of good governance. Don’t be scared. In 2019 in Oyo State, we were not at the Federal Government level, not even at the local level, but we have God and human beings and we won. It can also happen here.
    “This election is special. Use it to deliver this state. This coming election is about choosing freedom against continued servitude…”
    The Governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal, tasked the people to consolidate on their victory in the last general elections to defeat APC again.
    “APC is in disarray, not only in Ondo State, but also at the national level. They are in confusion; they are not able to settle their leadership crisis. Therefore, it is not a choice for Ondo State.”
    Jedege pledged to run an all-inclusive government, if elected, saying his government would transform infrastructure, health and education sectors, among others.
    He said he would also prioritise workers’ welfare and reduce tuition in all tertiary institutions.
    Other dignitaries present at the event were: former governors of Osun and Ekiti states, Olagunsoye Oyinlola and Segun Oni, former deputy governor of Sokoto State, Alhaji Muftau Shagari; Senator Nicholas Tofowomo and Senator Abiodun Olujimi, among others.
    Meanwhile, the state council of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) chased away fake journalists, who were harassing unsuspecting citizens, from operating in the state.
    The task force swung into action at the Akure Airport, as dignitaries arrived for PDP campaign flag-off.
    The Adetona Aderoboye-led state executive had constituted the task force, led by Kayode Animasaun to check activities of miscreants, who disguise as journalists and extort money from unsuspecting personalities.
    NUJ, at its last monthly meeting, had inaugurated the task force that would go after the miscreants that have been masquerading as journalists, laying siege at entry points to fleece dignitaries.
    According to reports, a number of them were said to have been parading themselves as correspondents of some major media organisations, with cloned identification cards