Akwa Ibom State Government has fixed resumption dates for all Primary Schools, Secondary Schools, College of Education, Polytechnics and State University within the State.
Following the recent directive and approval given by the Federal Government of Nigeria that individual states should plan and decide resumption dates for their schools, the Akwa Ibom State government has made a positive move in proposing dates for schools resumption in the States.
According to the information issued and signed by the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Barr In Ememobong, the State Government has fixed the following dates for resumption of schools in the state.
1. Primary schools are directed to commence processes for resumption, only for primary six pupils, on 21st September 2020. This is meant to prepare the pupils for the Common Entrance examination. The state government has also promised to make face masks available to all the pupils when they resume.
2. Public secondary schools are fixed to reopen on the 28th of September 2020; while private secondary schools are to commence their processes for resumption on 21st September 2020. The government has however instructed all schools to comply with the Covid-19 preventive protocols upon resumption.
3. TheAkwa Ibom State University will commence the processes for resumption on 21st September 2020.
4. The Akwa Ibom State College of Education, Afaha Nsit, is to reopen on the 21st of September 2020.
5. The Akwa Ibom State Polytechnic, Ikot Osurua is to resume on October 5th, 2020.
These decisions and resolutions were made during the Akwa Ibom State Executive Councill Meeting which was chaired by the State Governor, His Excellency Mr udom Gabriel Emmanuel, held on Friday 18th September 2020.
HE Mr Udom Emmanuel- Governor of Akwa Ibom State.
Note that no date has been fixed for the resumption of the University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, since the institution is a federal University and under the regulation of the NUC and the Federal Government.
Remember that the Federal Government of Nigeria, through the States Minister of Education had earlier directed state governments to fix dates for schools resumption according to the readiness by the individual states in line with the Covid-19 protocols.
Also remember that the Federal Government of Nigeria had closed down all schools within the country since March this year in its bid to contain the spread of the ravaging Corona Virus which the World Health Organization (WHO) declared as a global pandemic in January this year.
Some students have therefore stayed at home for over five (5) months since the national lockdown of schools began.
Please share this information to others. Thank you.